Table of Contents
Schedule Tracks are a great tool for filtering out information for your guide users who have different needs and interests! Read on below to learn about how you can set these up in your guide.
The Schedule Tracks feature is a Premium plan and Branded app feature that allows guide organizers to sort their schedule by track (we can think of a track like a category). These tracks may vary depending on the kind of guide – common tracks include session topics, dates (June 8 – 15), team names, and event type.
For example, imagine you are the head of the Student Activities Committee on campus, and you have to make a big schedule of all the events for the whole semester. However, you’d like students to easily be able to find schedule information solely pertaining to, for example, “Movie Nights” or “Speaker Series”. Using one schedule for many kinds of events might become a bit unwieldy and hard to sort through.
So this is where Schedule Tracks come in! This feature will allow users to filter down the main Schedule by track name, or will allow you to create a one-click menu item on your Guide Home Screen where it will display only that track’s schedule.
For example, the gif below shows a user filtering down the main schedule to show upcoming Movie Nights, then scrolling down to the Movie Nights track which has been pinned to home, and viewing the information in that one-click menu item (we are also looking at the month calendar view here!).
Please continue reading on below for information on how to set Schedule Tracks up in your guide.
If you are importing your schedule from an Excel or CSV spreadsheet template and you want the sessions to belong to tracks, simply write the track names that you want each item to belong to under the “Tracks” column.
Fill out the tracks in the spreadsheet.
Any session can belong to as many tracks as you would like. In order to add a session to multiple tracks, separate the track names by semicolons.
For example: Lions; Tigers; Bears
Once you have imported your schedule spreadsheet, click into the Tracks tab, and you’ll see all the tracks appear in a list. If you want to color code your tracks, click the name of the track so that a window opens to a Details window. Below the Track Name and Description fields you can choose the color you would like to designate that track. You can choose predesigned colors, play with the color wheel, or input your own color hex codes.
Please Note: Schedule Track titles may be no longer than 40 characters each.
Option 2: In the Schedule module, create your sessions and tracks simultaneously.
- Log into Guidebook Builder, open your guide, and click into the “Build Guide” section. Click into your Schedule module and it will open into the Sessions tab.
- To manually add a session, press the “New session” and a window will open. After filling out the Session name, Duration, and Location, you can type in the Tracks you would like this session to fall under. Please note that you can add multiple tracks!
- If you are typing in the name of a new track, a small window will appear under the text field that says “Create new field”. Click on this, and a text window will appear where you’ll input the Track Name, Description, and color. Or, you can simply close the window and the Track Name will save.
- If you’ve already input the track name in the Tracks tab, you can select it directly from the drop-down menu. Press “Save” when you are finished.
6. Click Save to return to your Session Details window.
7. Click Save again to return to your list of sessions, and you’ll see a small color square to the right designating the schedule track of that session.
Option 3: In the Schedule module, use the Tracks tab to assign tracks to existing sessions.
- Log into Guidebook Builder, open your guide, click into the “Build Guide” section, and open your Schedule module. It will open into your Sessions tab and you’ll see a list of all your uploaded sessions.
- Switch into the Tracks tab and click the “New track” button.
A window will open to a Details page where you’ll plug in the Track Name, Description, and choose its color. Pressing Save will take you back to your Tracks page.
3. Click the name of the track in the list, and a window will open with a Details tab and a Sessions tab.
4. Click into the Sessions tab. There will be a field that says “Search for sessions” and when you click on it, a drop-down menu with all your sessions will appear.
You can check off the session(s) that you would like to tag as this track, and then click outside of the box for it to save.
5. Click the ‘X’ at the top right of the box to return to your Tracks list.
Because Schedule Tracks allow for great schedule segmentation, it would be nice to allow your attendees to access the schedule tracks directly (without needing them to load the full schedule and filter from there). While you have a few options, we're only going to describe the most time efficient:
Pin Schedule Track to Home Method:
This method requires previously existing and populated Schedule Tracks. You'll also find a helpful gif below the numbered list:
1) Log into the Guidebook Builder, select your guide, and click on "Build Guide".
2) Open the Schedule Module.
3) Click on the "Tracks" tab.
4) Find and click the gear icon on the right hand side of the track to be pinned. Choose "Pin to home".
5) Navigate back to the Guide Drawer to see your pinned Schedule Track icon. You may change the icon and name to your liking!
Custom List Linking
This method requires previously existing and populated Schedule Tracks.
1) Create a new Custom List, and name this list "Schedule Tracks".
2) Create new list items which correspond to your track names.
3) Within each list item, click on the "Links" tab and link the custom list item to the corresponding schedule track.
4) You may write a brief blurb about the schedule track in the description field!
This option will require a few extra clicks for users to access the schedule tracks; however, you may use the custom list format to provide additional information and context about each schedule track.