We are excited to announce the launch of our new and improved survey feature! With this improvement comes the new survey purpose (which determines where the survey will show up in the guide), new question types, the ability to clone survey questions and much more. In this article, we will discuss what makes up a survey.
Note: The new surveys require a resubmission to stores to function on a Branded App. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and submit your app for approval on your Space Dashboard before converting to the new survey model.
Creating your Survey
To begin, navigate to the Surveys & Polls section of your guide's dashboard. Then, click on the blue “Create a survey” button in the upper left hand corner. From here you can name the survey and supply additional basic details, like a 'call to action' and 'description' (we like to think of these two as the 'sub-title' and 'introduction' to your survey).
Now that we’ve created a survey, we can walk through all of the new components.
One of the most important aspects of the new survey feature is the survey purpose, as it directly influences where the survey can be found within your guide. There are three different options that you can choose from when selecting your survey purpose:
Create a Menu Item Survey: Choosing this option will add the Feedback icon to your guide’s main menu, with the survey attached.
Create a Schedule Survey: After choosing a Schedule Survey, you will be given three additional options:
- Create a single survey that will be associated with every session in your guide’s schedule.
- Create a survey that is associated with all sessions of a specific schedule track.
- Create a survey for a single, specific schedule session.
Create a Custom List Survey: When choosing a custom list survey, you will be given two options:
- Associate the survey with all the items in a single custom list.
- Attach the survey to a specific item within a custom list.
Note: After your survey has been created, changing the Survey Purpose will result in the loss of all existing responses.
When setting up your questions, you can elect to create new questions or you can reuse questions from an existing survey. When you choose to reuse questions from an existing survey, it will take a moment to clone those questions into the new survey.
The types of questions that are available are as follows:
Multiple Choice: The user selects one answer from the choices given.
Dropdown: The user selects an answer from the choices given in a dropdown menu.
Checkbox: The user is allowed to select answers based on the requirements set (No limit, exact number, or minimum number)
Branching Path: Branching Paths are a new type of question that will allow additional questions based on the answer that the user has provided. For each answer choice, you can select to “Do nothing” or “Send to question branch”.
Sliding Scale: The user gives a rating on the numeric scale you set.
Free Response (long): The user has a larger amount of space to type in a response.
Free Response (short): The user has a smaller amount of space to type in a response.
Grid: The Grid question type allows for multiple questions with the same set of answers, through Question Rows and Answer columns.
When creating your questions, please refrain from asking users for personally identifiable information (e.g. first name, last name, email address, etc.). The system will capture that information from users who are logged in and have opted into privacy data sharing.
Single Submit — No revisions allowed: once the user submits the survey, they are not able to edit their responses and cannot submit additional responses.
Single Submit — Revisions allowed: users are unable to submit additional survey responses, but are able to revise their submission.
Multiple submissions allowed: users can submit more than one response.
Enabling the “Sign-in required” toggle will require users to login to the guide before they are able to submit a survey response. When users are required to login to take the survey, it ensures that their personal data is captured so you can associate users with submissions (as long as they have consented to sharing their data). If you have “Sign-in required” toggled on and users are not signed in when they go to complete the survey, they will be met with the following message:
Now that your survey has been created, check out our Survey Life Cycle Management article for information on how to edit, disable or delete your survey.
Will I still be able to use the old survey feature in my guide?
- For guides that existed before this survey feature improvement release (6/6/2019), you can continue to use the old surveys (for a limited time). As of 6/6/2019, all newly created guides will only be able to use the new and improved survey feature.
If I switch from my existing survey to the new survey feature, is there a way to switch back?
- Converting your legacy survey to the new survey feature is permanent and cannot be reversed.
Whenever I switched from the old survey feature to the new one, I was sent a file with all of my existing responses. Will this file expire?
- Yes, this file will expire within 48 hours. If you don’t download the file, no worries. Reach out to email@example.com and we can work with the developer team to retrieve the data.
When I click into my sessions, I no longer have a Feedback tab. Is the Feedback tab still available for the new version of the Survey feature?
- With the new iteration of the Survey feature, the Feedback tab has been removed from individual sessions. All Survey creation/manipulation/linking takes place from the Surveys & Polls section of the dashboard.
I have a question that’s not answered here, what should I do?
- Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your question, we’re always standing by, ready to help!