Use PDFs to provide your users with presentation materials, charts/graphics, forms, or any other informational resources they may need. You can upload these files to a schedule session or custom list item.
Before Getting Started
- You must save PowerPoint presentations, Word documents, spreadsheets, and any other type of document as a PDF file type.
- PDF files must be under 25 MB each in size to upload.
- We recommend limiting the total number of documents included in the initial download to 20 MB (this refers to using the Include switch when importing).
- Use smallpdf.com to compress your PDFs.
- If your documents will exceed these limits, host your PDF online and use the PDF URL option.
- When hosting PDFs online, please make sure the URL ends in .pdf: http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=your_pdf_url_here.pdf
- Documents hosted on Dropbox do not render correctly on the app due to compatibility issues. We recommend you upload the PDF directly to Guidebook instead.
How to Add PDFs to your Guide
In Builder, open your guide and click on either the Schedule or the Custom List where you would like to include a PDF document.
Create a session or list item, save, and close the item. Then click to re-open that session or list item. You will then see the "Links" tab.
In the Links tab, click the PDF button. Be sure to give your document a name. Then, you can either click Select PDF to choose the file from your computer, or you can provide a PDF URL (a web link ending in .pdf) for the file.
If you choose to toggle the Include switch on, the PDF will be accessible even without an Internet connection. If you have many PDFs in your guide, this will increase the size of the guide and may reduce the download rate for your attendees.
Be sure to click Add PDF when you're ready.
If you are having trouble accessing the PDF, confirm that you've linked it using the PDF button, not the URL button. Also, try removing any spaces or special characters from the name of the PDF.
How to Create a PDF Document Library
First please add a custom list to your guide. You can name this list "Presentations," "Resources," or a title that best fits your guide.
Then, click add new or use the custom list template importer to add items to this list. The items in this list will probably be the names of the presentations/resources you want to provide here.
After creating an item, click to open it in the list. Click the Links tab and then click the PDF button.
You can either click Select PDF to choose the file from your computer, or you can provide a PDF URL (a web link ending in .pdf) for the file. In this case, we recommend hosting the PDFs online and providing PDF URLs, so the guide file does not become too large with the addition of numerous PDFs.
Link Your Documents to Other Components in the Guide
After linking the PDF file(s) to your list items in this Document Library, you are now ready to link these PDFs to various event sessions and other lists in your guide without having to re-upload the PDF each time.
From the Links tab, start typing in the name of a schedule session or the name of another list item (a Presenter, perhaps) to link to it. For more details on linking, please click here.