Enrollment in the Apple Developer program is required in order to host your Branded app in the iOS App Store. This document walks through enrolling in the Apple Developer program.
After setting up an Apple Developer Account (or if you already have one), please invite Guidebook to collaborate on your account. Guidebook will then continue managing your app for you, keeping it updated and functioning properly.
Apple will reject your app submission unless it is “submitted directly by the provider of the app’s content”. There must be a direct business relationship between the app you are submitting, and the developer account you are submitting with. Refer to Apple’s App Review Guidelines for more information.
Review the flowchart below to get started. You can click a blue button to jump to the appropriate step, or scroll down for the written instructions.
|Set up with Guidebook|
|Enroll in the program|
|Create an Apple ID|
Please note that this process can take approximately two to four weeks to complete once your Apple Developer Program Enrollment application has been submitted.
You will also need to have purchased a Branded App from Guidebook before proceeding.
What You Need to Enroll
During the enrollment process, you will need access to the following:
- Legal organization/company name
- D-U-N-S® number: If you are unsure of your D-U-N-S number, use this Apple-provided lookup tool or reach out to your finance team.
- Your company website address
- A contact phone number: Apple will call this number to verify your enrollment.
- An email address to use for the account registration
When creating your Apple ID, we recommend using an email address specific to your Apple Developer enrollment, e.g. email@example.com. This will allow other individuals to continue managing this process on behalf of your organization, should the Account Holder move to a different project or leave the company entirely.
1. Create Your Apple ID
The email address you use for the account registration should be tied to an Apple ID. If you do not have an Apple ID registered with that email address, you may create one on Apple’s website.
2. Apply for an Apple Developer Account
Once your Apple ID has been registered and confirmed, navigate to the Apple Developer Program Enrollment page to start the enrollment process.
- Note: Please enroll as an “Organization”. We will not be able to submit your app under an Individual or an Enterprise account.
After you complete the enrollment forms, a representative from Apple will call and/or email you in order to verify your enrollment information and continue the enrollment process.
3. Payment to Apple
After verification, you will receive a confirmation email. This email will also include steps for you to pay for your Apple Developer Program membership.
- Note: If you are an accredited institution, government entity, or non-profit organization, you may be eligible for an application fee waiver.
Invite Guidebook to Your Account
Once you have completed the enrollment process, please invite Guidebook as an Admin to your App Store Connect account. Admin access is necessary in order create push certificates and provisioning profiles, both of which are needed to submit your app and keep it up-to-date.
To invite Guidebook to your App Store Connect account, navigate to the Users and Access section of your account.
- Click on the “+” button at the top left of the list of Users.
- In the next section, please enter the information as detailed in this image:
- The email address will be provided to you by your Account Manager. (This is not your account manager’s email address, but will be one they provide to you)
- Then, click “Invite” at the bottom of the page.
If you have never submitted any apps before with your Developer Account (or just created one for the first time), that's it—you’re all set. We will create a production distribution certificate for you in order to submit the app.
If you have previously used your Developer Account to submit apps, you may have the maximum amount of distribution certificates. If this is the case, we will ask you to send us one that is already in use or revoke one to make room for us to generate a new certificate.