Keep your users informed with notifications. Whether you need to announce a schedule change, you would like to send a reminder, or you have included notifications in your sponsorship packages, the Notifications tool provides a quick and easy way to communicate with everyone who has downloaded your guide.
The Inbox module needs to be enabled on the main menu of your guide in order for you to send in-guide notifications to your end-users.
Please make sure your Inbox is on the main menu, not in a folder.
All notifications will be stored in the Inbox, regardless of whether you send them as inbox-only or as push notifications.
To ensure your users receive your notifications, encourage them to enable notifications for the app. Notifications also require network connectivity (Wi-Fi or cellular data).
Be sure to set the time zone before editing any content or setting up notifications in your guide.
The Two Types of Notifications
All Notifications sent will be stored in the Inbox. In the app, users will see an unread message indicator next to the Inbox menu item.
An Inbox-only notification will not alert the user outside of the app. Users will only know they have a message waiting for them when they open the guide and check the Inbox there.
Push Notifications are alerts that appear outside of the app on users' devices. These messages are also stored in the Inbox for later viewing.
Left: Notification on lock screen. Center: Notification in device pull-down. Right: Notification in Inbox.
Sending a Notification
Go to the Notifications section of your Guide (shown below). You will not be able to send notifications if you are missing an Inbox module in your guide. Add an Inbox module first, and then you will be able to send notifications!
Tap Compose Notification.
The message Title cannot exceed 80 characters, including spaces. The message Body cannot exceed 1024 characters, including spaces. You can include web address URLs in the message Body.
For more options, click "See more options"
- Schedule Notification: Send a notification out at a specific date and time, rather than sending one immediately. The time is determined by the guide’s time zone, which is set from the Guide Details section.
- Link Within Guide (Push Notification Only): Attach a schedule session or custom list item. When users tap/swipe on the notification, they will be taken to that item in the guide. This linked item is not visible in the notification message.
- Enable Push Notification (Metered, Premium, Branded Plan Only): Click the toggle to send your notification as a device alert.
- You can send up to 25 Push Notifications per guide. Please reach out to your Account Manager if you need more.
- You can send Push Notifications to all users or to a specific subset. Click here to learn more about Group Notifications!
- Once sent, notifications cannot be deleted. Please be sure to double-check your spelling and punctuation. ( Notifications scheduled for later can be edited until they are sent)
Group Notifications: Send Your Push Notifications to Specific Users
Use targeted Push Notifications to send relevant updates to specific users in your guide.
There are two different ways you can target specific users in Builder: by schedule session or by user account.
1. Attendees of Specific Sessions
Select this option to send a push notification to users who have added a specific session to their My Schedule.
Note: Users must be logged in and signed up for the specific session for this targeted notification to reach them.
Simply click on a session from the drop-down menu or search to add the session the group notification list!
2. Users and/or Groups
Select this option to send a push notification to specific users or groups.
Note: Users must be logged in to receive this targeted notification.
Why does my guide need an inbox feature?
In order to send notifications to your end-users, please add the Inbox module to your guide. This is necessary for inbox-only notifications and for push notifications.
Will private chat messages between users go to the Inbox module?
The Inbox module is separate. The Inbox stores inbox-only notifications and push notifications that are sent to users from Builder. Messages live in the Notification Center under your Account page in the app.
Can I test notifications in my guide?
Yes, you can send notifications to see what they will look like. However, we strongly recommend against sending test notifications as they can not be deleted. All of your users will see these messages. If you want to test, make sure the message is something like a welcome note or something else that won't be a problem for all of your users to see. Further, you only have 25 push notifications per guide, so don't waste those.