Table of Contents
Most of your guide-building will involve data entry. You're adding schedule sessions, putting content in your custom lists, and editing these items as information gets updated. With the Export Data feature, you can quickly extract the data in your guide, make changes, and then re-import to make more changes more quickly!
We'll review what you can export and how to use that data, but let's start by finding the Export Data tool first.
- Login to the Guidebook Builder.
- Click on your guide to open the guide dashboard.
- Look for the Advanced Tools button to the right of the Guide title.
- Click this button to see a dropdown menu.
- Then choose "Export Data" from the dropdown menu.
- The Export Data menu will list various components of your guide that can be exported. This includes your Schedule, any Custom Lists, any Surveys that have responses, and the 5-star ratings for schedule sessions as well as custom lists.
- Click on an item and then click "confirm" to have that data emailed to you as a spreadsheet!
Here are some of the most common and most valuable ways to use Export Data in action!
In separate articles describing Guidebook Builder's Survey Tools and Live Polling, we discuss how to view the responses from forms and live polls in Builder. However, you can also access this data quite simply in a CSV format, which you can use to generate more robust reports as needed.
- Simply click on "Export Data" as described above, and then click on the name of the Survey whose responses you would like to download.
Please Note: If you do not see a survey listed in the "Export Data" menu, this indicates no responses have been recorded yet.
Additionally, if you have enabled 5-star rating for your schedule or for any of your custom lists, you can export the "ratings" from the Export Data menu.
This is probably the biggest time-saving technique you'll learn! When guide-building, you will often need to add a schedule or custom lists and then go in and edit that information with the latest updates. Instead of having to re-do your schedule or custom lists, the Export Data feature lets you download what you have in the guide so far and edit/add information to the existing information.
When you need to update your schedule session data and/or any custom list information, ask yourself the following questions:
- Have any users downloaded my guide yet?
- Have I linked any of my custom lists or sessions to PDFs, URLs, forms, or other items/sessions?
- Do any of my custom list items or sessions have images?
If you answered "No" to all 3 questions, you could delete your schedule or custom list data from the Guidebook Builder and re-upload your information with no consequences. Feel free to start from scratch with fresh information!
However, if you answered "Yes" to ANY of the questions above, you'll want to use export data to update your content without any loss of data. To update multiple custom list items or schedule sessions all at once:
- Follow the steps above to export the custom list or schedule data you need.
- In a short while, you'll receive an email from Guidebot with a link to your schedule or custom list data as a spreadsheet. This spreadsheet resembles the template used to upload content, but it has an additional column on the far left with ID numbers. These ID numbers are crucial, as they are unique identifiers for your sessions and list items. Please do not change these ID numbers!
- Leave the ID numbers intact. For the rest of the data, you can make changes and add new data. Then save the document.
- In Builder, re-import that file into the schedule or custom list you edited. The ID numbers will tell our importer to overwrite any existing information in our system, so you do not need to clear your data prior to the re-import.
Note: Uploading data in this fashion will not allow you to delete sessions, items, or tracks. Use Builder to delete any items you would like to remove.
As described in this Overview of Linking article, you will learn how to link sessions, items, URLs, PDFs, and surveys to schedule sessions or custom list items. When it comes to linking items using the linking template spreadsheet, you will need ID numbers generated by exporting your data.
If you are linking schedule session to custom list items - presenters, for example - you will need to export the Schedule to get the Schedule ID numbers. You will also need to export that custom list (the Presenters list in this example) to get the custom list item ID numbers.
After you gather all of the ID numbers you need for the items you would like to link, just use the linking template with the ID numbers aligned appropriately.
Don't forget that you can use the linking template to link a single survey to multiple sessions! Check out this Pro-Tip article for details.
Because the Guidebook Builder has no 'undo' function, we recommend exporting your data prior to performing any large modifications or deletions. If anything goes wrong, you will be able to restore some, if not all, of your previous data by re-uploading the exported data files into the guide.
We hope this short walkthrough of Export Data helps in your guide building quest! If you can think of other cool applications of the Export Data feature or if you have any questions, please leave a comment below or send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.